SubjectRe: Versioning file system
Date
On Jun 18, 2007, at 13:56:05, Bryan Henderson wrote:
>> The question remains is where to implement versioning: directly in
>> individual filesystems or in the vfs code so all filesystems can
>> use it?
>
> Or not in the kernel at all. I've been doing versioning of the
> types I described for years with user space code and I don't
> remember feeling that I compromised in order not to involve the
> kernel.
>
> Of course, if you want to do it with snapshots and COW, you'll have
> to ask where in the kernel to put that, but that's not a file
> versioning question; it's the larger snapshot question.

What I think would be particularly interesting in this domain is
something similar in concept to GIT, except in a file-system:
1) Redundancy is easy, you just ensure that you have at least "N"
distributed copies of each object, where "N" is some function of the
object itself.
2) Network replication is easy, you look up objects based on the
SHA-1 stored in the parent directory entry and cache them where
needed (IE: make the "N" function above dynamic based on frequency of
access on a given computer).
3) Snapshots are easy and cheap; an RO snapshot is a tag and an RW
snapshot is a branch. These can be easily converted between.
4) Compression is easy; you can compress objects based on any
arbitrary configurable criteria and the filesystem will record
whether or not an object is compressed. You can also compress
differently when archiving objects to secondary storage.
5) Streaming fsck-like verification is easy; ensure the hash name
field matches the actual hash of the object.
6) Fsck is easy since rollback is trivial, you can always revert
to an older tree to boot and start up services before attempting
resurrection of lost objects and trees in the background.
7) Multiple-drive or multiple-host storage pools are easy: Think
the git "alternates" file.
8) Network filesystem load-balancing is easy; SHA-1s are
essentially random so you can just assign SHA-1 prefixes to different
systems for data storage and your data is automatically split up.

Other issues:

Q. How do you deal with block allocation?
A. Same way other filesystems deal with block allocation. Reference-
counting gets tricky, especially across a network, but it's easy to
play it safe with simple cross-network refcount-journalling. Since
the _only_ thing that needs journalling is the refcounts and block-
free data, you need at most a megabyte or two of journal. If in
doubt, it's easy to play it safe and keep an extra refcount around
for an in-the-background consistency check later on. When networked-
gitfs systems crash, you just assume they still have all the
refcounts they had at the moment they died, and compare notes when
they start back up again. If a node has a cached copy of data on its
local disk then it can just nonatomically increment the refcount for
that object in its own RAM (ordered with respect to disk-flushes, of
course) and tell its peers at some point. A node should probably
cache most of its working set on local disk for efficiency; it's
trivially verified against updates from other nodes and provides an
easy way to keep refcounts for such data. If a node increments the
refcount on such data and dies before getting that info out to its
peers, then when it starts up again its peers will just be told that
it has a "new" node with insufficient replication and they will clone
it out again properly. For networked refcount-increments you can do
one of 2 things: (1) Tell at least X many peers and wait for them to
sync the update out to disk, or (2) Get the object from any peer (at
least one of whom hopefully has it in RAM) and save it to local disk
with an increased refcount.

Q. How do you actually delete things?
A. Just replace all the to-be-erased tree and commit objects before a
specified point with "History erased" objects with their SHA-1's
magically set to that of the erased objects. If you want you may
delete only the "tree" objects and leave the commits intact. If you
delete a whole linear segment of history then you can just use a
single "History erased" commit object with its parent pointed to the
object before the erased segment. Probably needs some form of back-
reference storage to make it efficient; not sure how expensive that
would be. This would allow making a bunch of snapshots and purging
them logarithmically based on passage of time. For instance, you
might have snapshots of every 5 minutes for the last hour, every 30
minutes for the last day, every 4 hours for the last week, every day
for the last month, once per week for the last year, once per month
for the last 5 years, and once per year beyond that.

That's pretty impressive data-recovery resolution, and it accounts
for only 200 unique commits after it's been running for 10 years.

Q. How do you archive data?
A. Same as deleting, except instead of a "History erased" object you
would use a "History archived" object with a little bit of string
data to indicate which volume it's stored on (and where on the
volume). When you stick that volume into the system you could easily
tell the kernel to use it as an alternate for the given storage group.

Q. What enforces data integrity?
A. Ensure that a new tree object and its associated sub objects are
on disk before you delete the old one. Doesn't need any actual full
syncs at all, just barriers. If you replace the tree object before
write-out is complete then just skip writing the old one and write
the new one in its place.

Q. What consists of a "commit"?
A. Anything the administrator wants to define it as. Useful
algorithms include: "Once per x Mbyte of page dirtying", "Once per 5
min", "Only when sync() or fsync() are called", "Only when gitfs-
commit is called". You could even combine them: "Every x Mbyte of
page dirtying or every 5 minutes, whichever is shorter (or longer,
depending on admin requirements)". There would also be appropriate
syscalls to trigger appropriate git-like behavior. Network-
accessible gitfs would want to have mechanisms to trigger commits
based on activity on other systems (needs more thought).

Q. How do you access old versions?
A. Mount another instance of the filesystem with an SHA-1 ID, a tag-
name, or a branch-name in a special mount option. Should be user
accessible with some restrictions (needs more thought).

Q. How do you deal with conflicts on networked filesystems.
A. Once again, however the administrator wants to deal with them.
1) Forcibly create a new branch for the conflicted tree.
2) Attempt to merge changes using the standard git-merge semantics
3) Merge independent changes to different files and pick one for
changes to the same file
4) Your Algorithm Here(TM). GIT makes it easy to extend
conflict-resolution.

Q. How do you deal with little scattered changes in big (or sparse)
files?
A. Two questions, two answers: For sparse files, git would need
extending to understand (and hash) the nature of the sparse-ness.
For big files, you should be able to introduce a "compound-file"
datatype and configure git to deal with specific X-Mbyte chunks of it
independently. This might not be a bad idea for native git as well.
Would need system-specific configuration.

Q. How do you prevent massive data consumption by spurious tiny changes
A. You have a few options:
1) Configure your commit algorithm as above to not commit so often
2) Configure a stepped commit-discard algorithm as described
above in the "How do you delete things" question
3) Archive unused data to secondary storage more often

Q. What about all the unanswered questions?
A. These are all the ones I could think of off the top of my head but
there are at least a hundred more. I'm pretty sure these are some of
the most significant ones.

Q. That's a great idea and I'll implement it right away!
A. Yay! (but that's not a question :-D) Good luck and happy hacking.

Q. That's a stupid idea and would never ever work!
A. Thanks for your useful input! (but that's not a question either)
I'm sure anybody who takes up a project like this will consider such
opinions.

Q. *flamage*
A. I'm glad you have such strong opinions, feel free to to continue
to spam my /dev/null device (and that's also not a question).

All opinions and comments welcomed.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

  Last update: 2007-06-19 05:15    [W:0.085 / U:0.188 seconds]