    On Jun 18, 2007, "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> wrote:

    >> First, end users buy and use the hardware in question. It does not
    >> belong to Tivo, so the analogy to his laptop fails there.

    > No, this is incorrect. They buy *some* of the rights to the hardware but not
    > all of them.

    Wow, really? I thought TiVo actually sold the computer.

    Not that it would make a difference as far as GPLv3 is concerned.
    It's still a user product, and it still contains GPLed software, and
    TiVo distributes that software to other users.

    > But you cannot coherently deny that TiVo retains this right when
    > they sell certain other rights to the hardware.

    Heh. I mis-parsed "sell rights to the hardware". How can the
    hardware buy something?

    Whatever rights TiVo wants to retain or keep from the user is of
    little concern here, as long as this doesn't get in the way of the
    user's exercise of the freedoms that the GPL stands to defend. If it
    wants to retain more rights than that, then it may have to refrain
    from using GPLed software, or face the risk of a court finding it
    couldn't have done that in the first place.

    FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/