SubjectRe: Versioning file system
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> alan wrote:

>>> What's the conceptual difference between forks and extended user
>>> attributes?
>>
>> Forks tend to contain more than just extended attributes. They contain
>> all sorts of other meta-data including icons, descriptions, author
>> information, copyright data, and whatever else can be shoveled into them
>> by the author/user.
>
> And that makes them different from extended attributes, how?

The amount of crap. Both seem to become a collection bin for "stuff we
need to describe this object". Forks seem to get more piled on, but they
are effectively the same thing.

> Both of these really are nothing but ad hocky syntactic sugar for
> directories, sometimes combined with in-filesystem support for small
> data items.

And both tend to break when you go to a file system that does not support
them.

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct