    SubjectRe: Versioning file system
    On Mon, 18 June 2007 18:10:21 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:31:14PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > And that makes them different from extended attributes, how?
    > >
    > > Both of these really are nothing but ad hocky syntactic sugar for
    > > directories, sometimes combined with in-filesystem support for small
    > > data items.
    >
    > There's a good discussion of the issues involved in my LCA 2006
    > presentation.... which doesn't seem to be on the LCA 2006 site. Hrm.
    > I'll have to ask that this be fixed. In any case, here it is:
    >
    > http://thunk.org/tytso/forkdepot.odp

    The main difference appears to be the potential size. Both extended
    attributes and forks allow for extra data that I neither want or need.
    But once the extra space is large enough to hide a rootkit in, it
    becomes a security problem instead of just something pointless.

    Pointless here means that _I_ don't see the point. Maybe there are
    valid uses for extended attributes. If there are, noone has explained
    them to me yet.

    Jörn

    --
    They laughed at Galileo. They laughed at Copernicus. They laughed at
    Columbus. But remember, they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.