SubjectRe: Versioning file system
>The question remains is where to implement versioning: directly in
>individual filesystems or in the vfs code so all filesystems can use it?

Or not in the kernel at all. I've been doing versioning of the types I
described for years with user space code and I don't remember feeling that
I compromised in order not to involve the kernel.

Of course, if you want to do it with snapshots and COW, you'll have to ask
where in the kernel to put that, but that's not a file versioning
question; it's the larger snapshot question.

--
Bryan Henderson IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA Filesystems