    SubjectRe: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume
    On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:49:34AM +0100, David Greaves wrote:
    > David Greaves wrote:
    > >OK, that gave me an idea.
    > >
    > >Freeze the filesystem
    > >md5sum the lvm
    > >hibernate
    > >resume
    > >md5sum the lvm
    > <snip>
    > >So the lvm and below looks OK...
    > >
    > >I'll see how it behaves now the filesystem has been frozen/thawed over
    > >the hibernate...
    >

    > And it appears to behave well. (A few hours compile/clean cycling kernel
    > builds on that filesystem were OK).
    >

    > Historically I've done:
    > sync
    > echo platform > /sys/power/disk
    > echo disk > /sys/power/state
    > # resume
    >
    > and had filesystem corruption (only on this machine, my other hibernating
    > xfs machines don't have this problem)
    >
    > So doing:
    > xfs_freeze -f /scratch
    > sync
    > echo platform > /sys/power/disk
    > echo disk > /sys/power/state
    > # resume
    > xfs_freeze -u /scratch
    >
    > Works (for now - more usage testing tonight)

    Verrry interesting.

    What you were seeing was an XFS shutdown occurring because the free space
    btree was corrupted. IOWs, the process of suspend/resume has resulted
    in either bad data being written to disk, the correct data not being
    written to disk or the cached block being corrupted in memory.

    If you run xfs_check on the filesystem after it has shut down after a resume,
    can you tell us if it reports on-disk corruption? Note: do not run xfs_repair
    to check this - it does not check the free space btrees; instead it simply
    rebuilds them from scratch. If xfs_check reports an error, then run xfs_repair
    to fix it up.

    FWIW, I'm on record stating that "sync" is not sufficient to quiesce an XFS
    filesystem for a suspend/resume to work safely and have argued that the only
    safe thing to do is freeze the filesystem before suspend and thaw it after
    resume. This is why I originally asked you to test that with the other problem
    that you reported. Up until this point in time, there's been no evidence to
    prove either side of the argument......

    Cheers,

    Dave.
    --