On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:33:33 -0300
Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2007, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >> I don't know any law that requires tivoization.
>
> > In the USSA it is arguable that wireless might need it (if done in
> > software) for certain properties. (The argument being it must be
> > tamperproof to random end consumers).
>
> But this is not tivoization.

It most definitely is

> Tivoization is a manufacturer using technical measures to prevent the
> user from tampering (*) with the device, *while* keeping the ability
> to tamper with it changes itself.

That accurately describes the FCC wireless rules. As a vendor I am
perfectly allowed to tinker, but the product must not be "end user"
modifiable. (and some vendors take this to mean binary only, despite the
fact end users generally aren't able to modify code and EE students are
just as able to modify electronics as we are code).

Alan

  Last update: 2007-06-17 22:21    [W:0.552 / U:0.080 seconds]