    SubjectRe: How to improve the quality of the kernel?
    On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 06:26:55PM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:

    > > And this is something I want to emphasize again.
    > >
    > > How can we make any progress with the real problem and not only the
    > > symptoms?
    >
    > Perhaps make lists of
    >
    > - bug reports which never lead to any debug activity
    > (no responsible person/team was found, or a seemingly person/team
    > did not start to debug the report)
    >
    > - known regressions on release,
    >
    > - regressions that became known after release,
    >
    > - subsystems with notable backlogs of old bugs,
    >
    > - other categories?
    >
    > Select typical cases from each categories, analyze what went wrong in
    > these cases, and try to identify practicable countermeasures.

    No maintainer or no maintainer who is debugging bug reports is the
    major problem in all parts of your list.

    > Another approach: Figure out areas where quality is exemplary and try
    > to draw conclusions for areas where quality is lacking.

    ieee1394 has a maintainer who is looking after all bug reports he gets.

    Conclusion: We need such maintainers for all parts of the kernel.

    > Stefan Richter

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.