On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 08:10:53PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> This is where we started. The same way you seem to think that "freedom"
> has only the meaning *you* and the FSF give it, and that somehow the
> spirit of the GPL includes the "four freedoms" that aren't even
> _mentioned_ in it.
>
> THAT IS NOT TRUE.

Compare for example the landmark case Griswold v. Connecticut where the US
supreme court, faced with a constitution that did not contain items they
desperately wanted it to contain, made up 'penumbras' and 'emanations'
stemming from the bill of rights, which then created the much sought after
guarantees of privacy for Americans.

'[..] Specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights have penumbras, formed by
emanations from those guarantees that help give them life and substance.
Various guarantees create zones of privacy.'

and

'Although the Bill of Rights does not explicitly mention "privacy",
Justice William O. Douglas (writing for the majority) ruled that the
right was to be found in the "penumbras" of other constitutional
protections.'

This was frowned upon back then as 'overly creative', and still is - but
because the constitution could not be changed, and nobody was willing to
amend it, they had no choice but to interpret so extensively.

This is not the case now however.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/griswold.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_v._Connecticut

Bert