Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>>No, I'm arguing that it's not "mere aggregation" - the kernel is useless
>>on that machine unless the BIOS is present or replaced with something
>>else with equivalent functionality.
>That's *not* a valid argument!

Just take a vote and start tagging files and ignore this needless
diatribe. It is was it is, I seriously doubt you will
get all of Linux moved to GPL3 as a monolith, since you will never get
concensus. You should fork a GPL3 kernel and let people decide
whether their code goes in or not. If they don't want to move to it, new
people can contribute new code. Start a 2.8 tree or whatever that is
GPL3 only.