    SubjectRe: [patch] sched: accurate user accounting
    malc wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Balbir Singh wrote:
    >> malc wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > [..snip..]
    >>> Now integral load matches the one obtained via the "accurate" method.
    >>> However the report for individual cores are of by around 20% percent.
    >> I think I missed some of the context, is the accounting of individual
    >> tasks
    >> or cpustat values off by 20%? I'll try and reproduce this problem.
    > Neither actually, the individual core idle times reported via `/proc/stat'
    > are off by 20 percent, one over estimates and the other under estimates
    > and the sum is right on the mark.

    Interesting, the idle time accounting (done from account_system_time())
    has not changed. Has your .config changed? Could you please send
    it across. I've downloaded apc and I am trying to reproduce your problem.

    >> Could you provide more details on the APC tool that you are using -- I
    >> do not understand the orange and yellow lines, do they represent system
    >> and user time?
    > It's somewhat documented on the page:
    > Anyway the left bar is based on information from `/proc/stat' the right
    > one is derived from the kernel module that just times how much time was
    > spent in idle handler. The graphs: red - `/proc/stat', yellow - module.
    >> NOTE: There is some inconsistency in the values reported by /usr/bin/time
    >> (getrusage) and values reported in /proc or through delay accounting.
    > I don't really use `getrusage'.

    Tools like /usr/bin/time do.

    Warm Regards,
    Balbir Singh
    Linux Technology Center

      Last update: 2007-06-16 15:27    [W:0.023 / U:10.840 seconds]