On 15/06/07, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > Why can't you understand that the GPL v2 is a *software* license, it
> > doesn't cover hardware at all.
>
> The GPLv2 is a copyright license not a software licence, indeed there is
> no such thing as a 'software licence'. It deals with the circumstances
> and manner in which you are permitted (by the author) to make copies of
> their work, to modify their work and in some cases to perform their work
> (plus other sundry rights). Copyright law doesn't care whether the object
> in question is as abstract as computer source code (providing it has been
> 'fixated' in some form) or a two hundred foot high art installation - or
> a combination of the two.

Right. My bad.

> So irrespective of the whole pointless debate going on you are trying to
> draw lines that don't exist in the first place.
>
> > I can't know for a fact what TiVO wants, but I can guess.
>
> You could also do your research.

I have absolutely no idea where to go look something like that up :-(

> > All quite valid reasons in my opinion.
>
> and all wrong.
>
> Look up the owning and controlling interests in Tivo and you'll find the
> correct reason - stopping you doing evil things like keeping movies
> you've recorded or uploading them to the internet [which ironically of
> course is the entire effect of the whole 'convergence' thing]

Hmm, wouldn't that be my guess nr. 2? A way to use the hardware to
break the law...

Anway, the whole point of my post was mainly to /try/ and say that the
GPL gives you a right to obtain source code for modifications, but it
doesn't say anything about being able to run a compiled version of
that source on any specific hardware.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>