    SubjectRe: coding style

    On Jun 15 2007 12:45, Kok, Auke wrote:

    >> Well tabs should _never_ be assumed to be 8, and in this regard, as I see it,
    >> CodingStyle has a bug. Tabs are there so that the user can set their width
    >> according to _their_ taste, simply so that both sides,
    >>
    >> from CodingStyle:
    >> Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8
    >> characters. There are heretic movements that try to make
    >> indentations 4 (or even 2!) characters deep, and that is akin
    >> to trying to define the value of PI to be 3.
    >
    > again, this is about *indentation* and not about alignment
    >
    >> Linus (did he wrote that part?) and the heretics both can have their fun
    >> without impacting each other. If we wanted to force the user to have exactly
    >> 8 screen blanks, we should use spaces throughout.
    >
    > Linus was friendly enough to give us permission to use tabs. He forces tabs for
    > indentation, but leaves it up to everyone else to (1) set their editor to show
    > tabs as 2 or 4 or whatever, and (2) use spaces for alignment.
    >
    > the bottom line here is that we encourage everyone to use tabs=8, and allow
    > some degree of freedom for some people to vary this *AND* have decent looking
    > alignment for *EVERYONE* by allowing them to use spaces for alignment.

    I'll just say "+1", because that's what I meant.

    Blame university for mathematical pickiness:

    >> Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8

    is wrong ;-) --

    * Tabs _are_ 1 character (use a hex editor and see) and
    * Tabs _are not always displayed_ as "8 characters"
    [there exists a user for which \t != 8] [not me though]
    * Tabs _are displayed_ as _much characters as the user specifies_.

    (CodingStyle could need a clarification.)

    Jan