    * Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

    > > I.e. you cannot just cleverly define "source code" to include
    > > something unrelated and then pretend that it's all in one work. And
    > > that's exactly what the GPLv3 does: it creatively defines the
    > > hardware's key into the 'source code' of the software and then asks
    > > for that to be provided _not_ because somehow the key derives from
    > > the software (it clearly does not), but as a "compensation" for the
    > > right to redistribute! I.e. it's trying to extend its scope to some
    > > item that is not part of the software. See?
    >
    > No. The GPL does not care about the hardware's key, as I pointed out
    > in the part of my email that you cut out. The GPL cares about the key
    > used to generate an integral part of the executable form of the GPLed
    > work. The executable does not function properly if it lacks that
    > part. [...]

    it is a false statement on your part that the executable "does not
    function properly" if it lacks that part. Try it: take out the harddisk
    from the Tivo (it's a bog standard IDE harddisk), put into a nice Linux
    PC, mount it, modify a bit in the kernel image header and it will likely
    still boot just fine on that PC.

    now if you put the harddisk back into the Tivo, the Tivo's bootloader
    will refuse to run that modified kernel. So will it (and any Linux
    bootloader) refuse to load the kernel if you corrupt the compressed
    format and the gunzip function finds a CRC error. You cannot run
    arbitrary binaries on hardware without knowing the properties of that
    hardware. One such property of the hardware might be: "i only run
    applications that use at most 500 MB of RAM" - because ... the hardware
    might only have 512 MB of RAM. Another property of the hardware might
    be: "i will only trust and run applications that match a given
    signature". Dont buy that hardware if you dont like its inherent
    limitations!

    The modification the GPL talks about is about modification of the SOURCE
    CODE. But if you have a new binary, you have no expectation of being
    able to run that on a piece of hardware. It might or might not run. (for
    example if you modified the software to include a 1 GB static array then
    the software might not work on a system that has only 512 MB of RAM.)

    go download the Tivo Linux kernel from:

    http://dynamic.tivo.com/linux/811/linux-2.4.tar.gz

    modify and build it. Boot it on your general purpose PC. It will quite
    likely work just fine!

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-06-15 17:45    [W:4.173 / U:0.016 seconds]