    SubjectRe: [patch 00/14] Page cache cleanup in anticipation of Large Blocksize support
    On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 01:06:45PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:38:39 -0700
    > wrote:
    > > This patchset cleans up the page cache handling by replacing
    > > open coded shifts and adds through inline function calls.
    > If we never inflict variable PAGE_CACHE_SIZE upon the kernel, these changes
    > become pointless obfuscation.

    The open coding of shifts, masks, and other associated cruft is a real
    problem. It leads to ugly and hard to understand code when you have to do
    anything complex. That means when you come back to that code 6 months later,
    you've got to take to the time to understand exactly what all that logic is
    doing again.

    IMO, xfs_page_state_convert() is a great example of where open coding
    of PAGE_CACHE_SIZE manipulations lead to eye-bleeding code. This
    patch set would go a long way to help clean up that mess.

    IOWs, like hch, I think this patch set stands on it's own merit
    regardless of concerns over variable page cache page sizes....

    Dave Chinner
    Principal Engineer
    SGI Australian Software Group

      Last update: 2007-06-15 01:57    [W:0.020 / U:148.396 seconds]