    > Why can't you understand that the GPL v2 is a *software* license, it
    > doesn't cover hardware at all.

    The GPLv2 is a copyright license not a software licence, indeed there is
    no such thing as a 'software licence'. It deals with the circumstances
    and manner in which you are permitted (by the author) to make copies of
    their work, to modify their work and in some cases to perform their work
    (plus other sundry rights). Copyright law doesn't care whether the object
    in question is as abstract as computer source code (providing it has been
    'fixated' in some form) or a two hundred foot high art installation - or
    a combination of the two.

    So irrespective of the whole pointless debate going on you are trying to
    draw lines that don't exist in the first place.

    > I can't know for a fact what TiVO wants, but I can guess.

    You could also do your research.

    > All quite valid reasons in my opinion.

    and all wrong.

    Look up the owning and controlling interests in Tivo and you'll find the
    correct reason - stopping you doing evil things like keeping movies
    you've recorded or uploading them to the internet [which ironically of
    course is the entire effect of the whole 'convergence' thing]

      Last update: 2007-06-15 01:43    [W:0.019 / U:3.312 seconds]