    On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:03:48AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > * Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@netone.net.tr> wrote:
    >
    > > > (*) And I've been pushing for that since before they even released
    > > > it - I walked out on Bill Joy at a private event where they
    > > > discussed their horrible previous Java license.
    > >
    > > Thanks for making things more clear :-) Some really strong indications
    > > that Sun is very willing to,at least, "Dual-License" the OpenSolaris
    > > with GPLv3. I think; in a very short time; we will see when the GPLv3
    > > finalized and released.
    >
    > that would certainly be a good and productive move from them. Note the
    > issue that others have pointed out to you: OpenSolaris is probably more
    > interested in picking up code from Linux than the other way around! :-)
    > You mentioned "dtrace" and "ZFS". Firstly, Linux already has a "dtrace"
    > equivalent. Secondly, ZFS might be interesting in theory
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Having just got my first Sun box (one of those 48 disk Thumper machines)
    I can say it's very interesting in practice too. The admin tools for
    zfs are a dream to use (unlike just about everything else on Solaris
    which is a bugwards compatible nightmare to use) and the attitude of
    checksumming everything on to disk and checking that those checksums
    match on the way back out presses my "do your own safety checking and
    don't trust the hardware" buttons very much the right way - especially
    with that much hardware in there.

    I would love to see Sun GPL3 OpenSolaris, not so much for the code
    itself (maybe not portable into Linux) but for the clarity it would
    give to the patent position. The patent peace would be portable back
    to GPL2.

    Bron.

      Last update: 2007-06-11 12:27    [W:4.129 / U:1.500 seconds]