    * Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@netone.net.tr> wrote:

    > > (*) And I've been pushing for that since before they even released
    > > it - I walked out on Bill Joy at a private event where they
    > > discussed their horrible previous Java license.
    >
    > Thanks for making things more clear :-) Some really strong indications
    > that Sun is very willing to,at least, "Dual-License" the OpenSolaris
    > with GPLv3. I think; in a very short time; we will see when the GPLv3
    > finalized and released.

    that would certainly be a good and productive move from them. Note the
    issue that others have pointed out to you: OpenSolaris is probably more
    interested in picking up code from Linux than the other way around! :-)
    You mentioned "dtrace" and "ZFS". Firstly, Linux already has a "dtrace"
    equivalent. Secondly, ZFS might be interesting in theory, although our
    prior experience of having compatibly-licensed filesystems ported over
    to Linux has been pretty negative: XFS ended up being an integration
    nightmare - and that doesnt have to do anything with the qualities of
    XFS (it's one of the cleanest Linux filesystems, if not the cleanest),
    the problem is that components within a kernel are very tightly
    integrated and rarely does it make sense to port over more than just
    drivers or maybe libraries. And that's i guess what OpenSolaris lacks
    and which i suspect it is mostly interested in: lots of nice Linux
    drivers ;-) XFS, the largest Linux filesystem is 100K lines of code -
    and ZFS (i've never seen it) is very likely smaller than that. Linux
    drivers on the other hand, as of today, are _3.7 million_ lines of code
    and enable Linux to run on 99% of the hardware that is produced today.
    Guess which one has the larger strategic significance? ;-)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-06-11 11:07    [W:0.041 / U:0.744 seconds]