    SubjectRe: ext2 on flash memory
    On 6/11/07, Kevin K <> wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 2007, at 5:13 AM, DervishD wrote:
    > > Hi all :)
    > >
    > > I was wondering: is there any reason not to use ext2 on an USB
    > > pendrive? Really my question is not only about USB pendrives, but any
    > > device whose storage is flash based. Let's assume that the device
    > > has a
    > > good quality flash memory with wear leveling and the like...
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot in advance :)
    > >
    > > Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
    > >
    > My opinion is that, unless the flash is really cheap, or it is being
    > written to excessively, that it probably doesn't matter too much.
    > With the growth in size of flash, just how long do you think it will
    > continue to be used before you go to something larger?
    > A 256MB flash of a few years ago has been supplanted in many cases by
    > today's 2-4gb memory.
    > One suggestion with ext2 might be to mount it with the noatime
    > option, so it doesn't update the last access time for directories and
    > files. Otherwise, you are doing a write even when you only plan to
    > read a file.

    All of the posts fail to address the question here: what is the
    correct file system, or does one exist yet, for wear leveling flash
    storage. JFFS2 and logfs are nice for MTD, but for better flash
    memories that are likely to be used in the future like solid state
    hard disks, what is the answer?

      Last update: 2007-06-12 02:39    [W:0.022 / U:19.380 seconds]