    SubjectRe: [AppArmor 39/45] AppArmor: Profile loading and manipulation, pathname matching
    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > Casey Schaufler wrote:
    >>> and if each file has it's own label you are going to need regex or similar
    >>> to deal with them as well.
    >> Now that you're going to have to explain. Nothing like that
    >> on any of the MLS systems I'm familiar with, and I think that
    >> I know just about all of them.
    > I suspect that David meant that if you were using "unique label per
    > file" as an implementation technique to implement AA on top of SELinux,
    > that you would then need a regexp to discern labels.

    say that we give each file a unique label, and for simplicity we set the
    label == path (note that this raises the issue, what will SELinux do when
    there are multiple paths to the same file)

    now say that you want to grant apache access to all files that have labels
    that follow the pattern '/home/*/http/* ?

    you are either going to use regex matching, or you are going to have to
    enumerate every label that matches this (potentially a very large list).
    and if you try to generate the enumerated list you need to add a label to
    the list if a file is renamed or created to match the pattern, and delete
    a file from the list if it is renamed to no longer match the pattern

    > It's hard to recall with all the noise, but at this point in the thread
    > the discussion is about the best way to implement AA. Some have alleged
    > that AA layered on top of SELinux is the best way. I think that is
    > clearly wrong; AA layered on top of SELinux is possible, but would
    > require a bunch of enhancements to SELinux first, and the result would
    > be more complex than the proposed AA patch and have weaker functionality
    > and performance.

    AA as-is needs to figure out how to deal with bind-mounts, and how to
    handle hardlink creation in a more ganular manner (and potentially other
    resources like network sockets), but it's useful now even without these

    AA over SELinux would need for SELinux to figure out how to handle file
    creation, file renames, and multiple paths for the same file (hard-links
    and bind-mounts). In addition a userspace daemon would have to be written
    to re-label files and/or change policy on the fly as files are renamed.
    the result would still have race conditions due to the need to re-label
    large numbers of files

    ACPI should have taught everyone that sometimes putting an interpreter in
    the kernel really is the best option. looking at the problems of bouncing
    back out to userspace for file creation and renames it looks like a regex
    in the kernel is a lot safer and more reliable.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2007-06-11 08:49    [W:0.023 / U:74.628 seconds]