    SubjectRe: ext2 on flash memory
        Hi Eduard :)

    * Eduard-Gabriel Munteanu <> dixit:
    > > I was wondering: is there any reason not to use ext2 on an USB
    > >pendrive? Really my question is not only about USB pendrives, but any
    > >device whose storage is flash based. Let's assume that the device has
    > >a good quality flash memory with wear leveling and the like...
    > Your USB pendrive will wear faster if you use an inappropriate
    > filesystem. Such filesystems require frequent writes and change their
    > internal state often.

    That's what I supposed.

    > Really, why don't you try a more suitable fs for your pendrive, one that
    > changes itself less than usual fs's?

    I was just wondering if, apart from the excessive wear, there were
    other reasons. One of the reasons I would like to use a good filesystem
    for a pendrive is to be able to store file metadata (UID, GID, mode,
    etc.) properly, for example to store a "live" copy of my home dir in the

    Thanks for your answer :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

    Linux Registered User 88736 |

      Last update: 2007-06-11 18:39    [W:0.038 / U:45.768 seconds]