SubjectRe: Kernel BUG when using corrupted ext3 fs
On 6/11/07, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I had to hard shutdown a fc6 machine due to vmware and nvidia doing
> > ridiculous things to my screen resolution and locking up. ugh.
> > Anyway, upon reboot it recovers the journal and mounts / rw fine.
> > Then rc.sysinit tries to delete various things from /tmp (.ICE-unix,
> > .font stuff, etc), kernel shows a BUG, and boot stops. Booting from a
> > fc7 live cd and trying to mount /dev/sda2 rw and delete /tmp/* also
> > causes a BUG. This dump is from fc7:
> >

> > eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> > kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
> > EXT3 FS on sda2, internal journal
> > EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> > SELinux: initialized (dev sda2, type ext3), uses xattr
> > inode_doinit_with_dentry: getxattr returned 5 for dev=sda2 ino=13271075
> > EXT3-fs warning (device sda2): ext3_unlink: Deleting nonexistent file
> > (13271075), 0
> Obviously, ext3 was not consistent after replaying the journal which
> should never happen. Do you have somewhere available the original
> filesystem image or at least messages from fsck when fixing the
> filesystem?

Unfortunately, no. I did not think of logging the fsck output :( I
recall hitting 'y' to fix about 30 things, with the last fixes being
something like superblocks not matching each other which I hadn't seen
before. This machine had also been hard powered off at least 5 times
before in the last few months (due to nvidia lockups).

--
Karl Pickett