    SubjectRe: [AppArmor 39/45] AppArmor: Profile loading and manipulation, pathname matching
    Casey Schaufler wrote:
    > --- david@lang.hm wrote:
    >
    >>> Yes, and in the process, AA stores compiled regular expressions in
    >>> kernel. Ouch. I'll take "each file it's own label" over _that_ any time.
    >>>
    >> and if each file has it's own label you are going to need regex or similar
    >> to deal with them as well.
    >>
    > Now that you're going to have to explain. Nothing like that
    > on any of the MLS systems I'm familiar with, and I think that
    > I know just about all of them.

    I suspect that David meant that if you were using "unique label per
    file" as an implementation technique to implement AA on top of SELinux,
    that you would then need a regexp to discern labels.

    It's hard to recall with all the noise, but at this point in the thread
    the discussion is about the best way to implement AA. Some have alleged
    that AA layered on top of SELinux is the best way. I think that is
    clearly wrong; AA layered on top of SELinux is possible, but would
    require a bunch of enhancements to SELinux first, and the result would
    be more complex than the proposed AA patch and have weaker functionality
    and performance.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D. http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/