SubjectRe: Intel's response Linux/MTRR/8GB Memory Support / Why doesn't the kernel realize the BIOS has problems and re-map appropriately?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

>> 1. The MCH/ICH8 hub 'requires' a minimum of 512MB to run, the board manual
>> states it needs at least 512MB of memort.
>> 2. The DVT/IGP graphics uses either 128MB or 256MB, I have it set to
>> 128MB.
>>
>> How can the Linux kernel find this out/poll this information so users do
>> not have to know mem=XXXXM?
>
> I don't think it should. The Linux kernel is not trying to be
> a BIOS replacement and should not know everything about the platforms
> it runs on. We sometimes try to work around very common
> bugs, but this one (involving lots of memory and special configuration)
> seems to be more in the exotic range where command line options
> or waiting for a BIOS update seem better options.
>
> -Andi

4GB of memory is $150 these days and this is a very common board *965
chipset, the bug occured with any bios > 1666P and 4GB of memory (or)
version 1612P (and possibly others) with 8GB of memory.

I guess a warning in dmesg or such would be appropriate letting the user
know of a possible work-around with the mem= option?

Justin.

  Last update: 2007-06-01 22:29    [W:1.513 / U:0.016 seconds]