    SubjectRe: [spi-devel-general] adding bits_per_word to struct spi_board_info to mirror struct spi_device
    On 5/8/07, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:
    > On Monday 07 May 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
    > > >
    > > > The initial driver set didn't need it, that's all. ISTR someone
    > > > else pointed out this quirk, but never provided a patch to resolve
    > > > the issue.
    > >
    > > so which direction should it be ? or should it be both ? :)
    >
    > Add bits_per_word to spi_board_info, and have the device creation
    > logic copy it into spi_device as it's created.

    OK

    > > Blackfin at the moment is doing DMA/bits_per_word setup in the boards
    > > ... we could move these to the drivers and have each one just call
    > > spi_setup() at init, or i could post a patch for the common framework
    > > if you think that's an OK direction to [also] go ...
    >
    > I don't see what you're getting at here. The SPI core doesn't
    > do anything with DMA, beyond passing DMA addresses through when
    > necessary. (Needed to handle messages derived from scatterlists,
    > since I don't want lower layers to know scatterlists, but otherwise
    > uncommon.)

    sorry, i didnt mean to confuse things ... i was referring to the only
    things that we are configuring at the moment on a per-spi device basis
    in Blackfin is bits_per_word and DMA status ... when i said posting a
    patch for common framework, i was referring to just bits_per_word
    -mike

      Last update: 2007-05-08 07:27    [W:0.022 / U:118.484 seconds]