SubjectRe: [spi-devel-general] adding bits_per_word to struct spi_board_info to mirror struct spi_device
On 5/8/07, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > The initial driver set didn't need it, that's all. ISTR someone
> > > else pointed out this quirk, but never provided a patch to resolve
> > > the issue.
> >
> > so which direction should it be ? or should it be both ? :)
>
> Add bits_per_word to spi_board_info, and have the device creation
> logic copy it into spi_device as it's created.

OK

> > Blackfin at the moment is doing DMA/bits_per_word setup in the boards
> > ... we could move these to the drivers and have each one just call
> > spi_setup() at init, or i could post a patch for the common framework
> > if you think that's an OK direction to [also] go ...
>
> I don't see what you're getting at here. The SPI core doesn't
> do anything with DMA, beyond passing DMA addresses through when
> necessary. (Needed to handle messages derived from scatterlists,
> since I don't want lower layers to know scatterlists, but otherwise
> uncommon.)

sorry, i didnt mean to confuse things ... i was referring to the only
things that we are configuring at the moment on a per-spi device basis
in Blackfin is bits_per_word and DMA status ... when i said posting a
patch for common framework, i was referring to just bits_per_word
-mike

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans