SubjectRe: [spi-devel-general] adding bits_per_word to struct spi_board_info to mirror struct spi_device
On 4/25/07, David Brownell <> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 April 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > the spi_device structure has a bits_per_word so that you can change
> > the value on a per-device setting, yet the spi_board_info structure
> > does not ... this means that the bus-specific structure has to have a
> > bits_per_word member which the spi bus driver will copy into the spi
> > device bits_per_word member
> Actually that's more likely a driver-specific characteristic than
> something related to board wiring/configuration ... a characteristic
> of the particular protocol requests being made. That's why for
> example bits_per_word has a per-transfer override, and drivers are
> able to call spi_setup(spi).

hmm, true ...

> > is there something obvious i'm missing ? seems to me that if the
> > generic spi framework respects bits_per_word on a per-spi device
> > basis, then it should be exposed in the generic info structure so that
> > the setting can be tracked in the boards file ...
> The initial driver set didn't need it, that's all. ISTR someone
> else pointed out this quirk, but never provided a patch to resolve
> the issue.

so which direction should it be ? or should it be both ? :)

Blackfin at the moment is doing DMA/bits_per_word setup in the boards
... we could move these to the drivers and have each one just call
spi_setup() at init, or i could post a patch for the common framework
if you think that's an OK direction to [also] go ...

  Last update: 2007-05-08 01:51    [W:0.099 / U:0.112 seconds]