    SubjectRe: gmail is a bit too popular..
    On 5/7/07, John Anthony Kazos Jr. <jakj@j-a-k-j.com> wrote:
    > > In the linux-kernel -list subscribers domain popularity
    > > analysis I got following results:
    > >
    > > 2101 gmail.com
    > > 49 googlemail.com
    > > 46 gmx.de
    > > 41 redhat.com
    > > 33 yahoo.com
    > > 23 suse.de
    > > 22 gmx.net
    > > 21 comcast.net
    > >

    > > The gmail is so popular, that with their somewhat rudimentary
    > > inbound MTA software this kind of recipient masses take horrible
    > > time to feed in... Mere 0.5-0.7 seconds per recipient, but..
    > [...]
    > How about some elitism here? Dedicate a certain number of streams to
    > everything-except-gmail, so MTAs from the 21st century can get their mail
    > faster, and set the rest on gmail-only. Slows down gmail and speeds up the
    > rest?

    Aargh ... what did us poor folk do to deserve this? I understand ~2000
    of those Gmail users are only spectators, but most others don't have a
    choice. In my case, my university doesn't allow mailboxes to go beyond
    a certain limit and only a couple of weeks worth of lkml would eat
    that up. And I suspect other free web mail servers that offer 3 GB of
    space too would be equally slower. But I do hope someone from Google
    listened to this -- half a second per recipient ... *sucks*.

      Last update: 2007-05-07 18:31    [W:0.020 / U:1.332 seconds]