SubjectRe: gmail is a bit too popular..
On 5/7/07, John Anthony Kazos Jr. <jakj@j-a-k-j.com> wrote:
> > In the linux-kernel -list subscribers domain popularity
> > analysis I got following results:
> >
> > 2101 gmail.com
> > 49 googlemail.com
> > 46 gmx.de
> > 41 redhat.com
> > 33 yahoo.com
> > 23 suse.de
> > 22 gmx.net
> > 21 comcast.net
> >

> > The gmail is so popular, that with their somewhat rudimentary
> > inbound MTA software this kind of recipient masses take horrible
> > time to feed in... Mere 0.5-0.7 seconds per recipient, but..
> [...]
> How about some elitism here? Dedicate a certain number of streams to
> everything-except-gmail, so MTAs from the 21st century can get their mail
> faster, and set the rest on gmail-only. Slows down gmail and speeds up the
> rest?

Aargh ... what did us poor folk do to deserve this? I understand ~2000
of those Gmail users are only spectators, but most others don't have a
choice. In my case, my university doesn't allow mailboxes to go beyond
a certain limit and only a couple of weeks worth of lkml would eat
that up. And I suspect other free web mail servers that offer 3 GB of
space too would be equally slower. But I do hope someone from Google
listened to this -- half a second per recipient ... *sucks*.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans