    SubjectRe: [patch 14/22] pollfs: pollable futex
    On 5/4/07, Davide Libenzi <> wrote:
    > This is a pretty specific case, that is not very typical to find in the
    > usual common event loop dispatch application design.

    This is where you are very wrong. Yes, it's rare in the Unix world
    because non-trivial programs cannot implement this in most cases with
    the available infrastructure. But it is very common in other places
    and what is more, it makes a lot of sense. It gives you scalability
    with the size of the machines at no cost associated to reorganizing
    the program.

    > And if you *really* want your truly generic WaitForMultipleObjects
    > implementation, your only way is to base it on files. Files are our almost
    > perfect match to HANDLEs in our world. We have the basic infrastructure
    > already there.

    "basic", but not complete. And I never said that the implementation
    thye have is perfect, far from it. The concept is good and if we now
    can implement it, with all the event sources available, using an
    efficient event delivery mechanism we are far ahead of their design.

    The proposal now on the table doesn't bring us there all the way and
    it has the potential to make future work in the area of event delivery
    harder just because there is more legacy code to be kept happy. This
    is why I propose to not consider these changes and instead go for the
    gold, i.e., the full solution.

      Last update: 2007-05-05 01:45    [W:0.026 / U:7.728 seconds]