SubjectRe: mkfs.ext2 triggerd RAM corruption
On Fri, 2007-05-04 16:59:51 +0200, Bernd Schubert <bs@q-leap.de> wrote:
> To see whats going on, I copied the entire / (so the initrd) into a tmpfs
> root, chrooted into it, also bind mounted the main / into this chroot and
> compared several times /bin of chroot/bin and the bind-mounted /bin while the
> mkfs.ext2 command was running.
>
> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
> Binary files /bin/sleep and /oldroot/bin/sleep differ
> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
> Binary files /bin/bsd-csh and /oldroot/bin/bsd-csh differ
> Binary files /bin/cat and /oldroot/bin/cat differ
>
> Also tested different schedulers, at least happens with deadline and
> anticipatory.
>
> The corruption does NOT happen on running the mkfs command on /dev/sda1, but
> happens with sda2, sda3 and sda3. Also doesn't happen with extended
> partitions of sda1.

Is sda2 the largest filesystem out of sda2, sda3 (and the logical
partitions within the extended sda1, if these get mkfs'ed, too)?

I'm not too sure that this is a kernel bug, but probably a bad RAM
chip. Did you run memtest86 for a while? ...and can you reproduce this
problem on different machines?

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de +49-172-7608481
Signature of: Friends are relatives you make for yourself.

  Last update: 2007-05-04 22:43    [W:0.092 / U:0.452 seconds]