SubjectRe: [git pull] New firewire stack
On Thu, 03 May 2007, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:

> >> Is the opportunity to clean up module names compelling enough, vs. (the
> >> wish for) minimized trouble with scripts which refer to module names?
> >
> > How big is the trouble actually?
>
> Exactly. In Fedora we've just added a fw-sbp2 case to mkinitrd, it's only a
> couple of lines of extra shell code:
>
> elif [ "$modName" = "fw-sbp2" ]; then
> findmodule fw-core
> findmodule fw-ohci
> modName="fw-sbp2"
>
> and that's the extent of the changes. The sbp2 case for the old drivers is
> still in there and in the end mkinitrd works with either stack.
>
> Kristian

I also think both stacks should be provided in the mainline kernel,
preferably in their own separate directories. I still need the old
stack for dv1394, which isn't available in the new stack. But if
the new stack is also there, I might be motivated for example to try
out the new sbp2 module, to see how well it works and how it compares
in performance to the old sbp2 module. If it's not there, I'm probably
not going to go out of my way to download it from the net, since my
existing setup is working just fine for me.

-Bill

  Last update: 2007-05-04 08:07    [W:0.055 / U:0.208 seconds]