    SubjectRe: [RFC] enhancing the kernel's graphics subsystem
    On 5/22/07, Philipp Klaus Krause <> wrote:
    > Benjamin Herrenschmidt schrieb:
    > >> In collaboration with the FB guys, we've been working on enhancing
    > >> the
    > >> kernel's graphics subsystem in an attempt to bring some sanity to the
    > >> Linux graphics world and avoid the situation we have now where
    > >> several
    > >> kernel and userspace drivers compete for control of graphics devices.
    > >
    > What's the difference between this and Jon Smirls' proposals from early
    > 2005?

    One of the biggest differences is we have the experience of the
    randr-1.2 code in the X server and a chipset which is backed my the
    manufacturer to design and test on. It also makes sure the design is
    actually real-world useful, I've already deployed this modesetting
    code in a standalone GL multi-head enviornment using miniglx code.

    We also aim to maintain as much compatibility with the current system
    as possible, whereas Jon really didn't care.

    Also Jon proposed about 10 things, but never an actual API, the things
    he proposed are still problems, but they are I believe as do many
    others to be orthogonal problems, not the intertwined things that he
    believes should be lumped under a single API ala DirectX.

      Last update: 2007-05-22 20:21    [W:0.024 / U:8.004 seconds]