    SubjectRe: [RFC] enhancing the kernel's graphics subsystem
    On Tuesday, May 22, 2007, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > On 5/22/07, Jesse Barnes <> wrote:
    > > On Tuesday, May 22, 2007, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > > > I've talked to an ATI engineer about VBIOS initialization. The chips
    > > > may have different steppings. They flash the right VBIOS that
    > > > matches the chip into the ROM on the card. Given all the various
    > > > steppings this is the only sane way to initialize the hardware. I
    > > > don't believe generic initialization code that can handle all of the
    > > > various steppings exists for any hardware.
    > >
    > > I think you must have misunderstood. Last time I worked on ATI, there
    > > was a single ROM image that supported several (maybe even all) of
    > > their addin cards. There's nothing magical about them... But that's
    > > beside the point.
    > What about the poke the obscure value into this undocumented IO port
    > class of problem where they are using the chip test interface to work
    > around bugs in the silicon.
    > He also mentioned that all of the OEMs change the standard ROM image
    > before loading it onto their cards to handle how they wired things up
    > and bugs in other chips.

    Right, I think that's where most of the real differences are:
    configuration tables. And Linux drivers will want to continue to make use
    of those.

    > Of course I don't have the source for the ROM so I don't know the
    > accuracy of what I was told.

    Yeah, it would be nice if we could get the ROM sources, would probably make
    for some interesting (and maybe frightening) reading. :)

      Last update: 2007-05-22 18:55    [W:0.027 / U:8.556 seconds]