    SubjectRe: [RFC] enhancing the kernel's graphics subsystem
    On 5/21/07, Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:
    > Jon Smirl wrote:
    > > There is a significant group of Linux users who want to be able to
    > > login separate users to each screen/head/crtc/output device. These
    > > people are concentrated in the third world and don't show up at OLS to
    > > argue their case.
    > >
    > > There is another group that wants Unicode consoles. The people I
    > > talked to were from India and Japan.
    >
    > If these "significant groups" do not bubble up to the surface, nothing
    > we can do about that.

    You need to take into account that these features have been asked
    about for years and we didn't respond. People interested in this have
    turned to other solutions.

    James Simmons maintained a multi-seat version of the 2.4 kernel for
    years that had many happy users. I don't know the details about why it
    never got merged. I believe two companies built special multi-head
    video hardware for it (Appian and Matrox? it has been a while).

    People needing Unicode console support can't speak English. How can
    they complain on LKML? Linux is an OS for the world, we really should
    make Unicode console work.

    --
    Jon Smirl
    jonsmirl@gmail.com