    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.22-rc2: make -j makes it unresponsive

    On Saturday, 19 May 2007 07:17, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > It's out there, both patches/tarballs and git trees are updated (although
    > mirroring might still be ongoing)
    > Various random fixes all over - the shortlog (appended) is fairly
    > readable. The most notable ones are probably more SLUB fixes, and the
    > epoll optimizations and cleanups.
    > But there's stuff in architectures (ia64, SH, AVR32, POWER), libata,
    > network drivers, sound.. Give it a try.
    > I've been telling some people off on merging stuff, and I'll get even more
    > hard-nosed about it after -rc2, so please don't even try to send anything
    > but real fixes.
    > I think the current situation looks reasonably good for 2.6.22, but I hope
    > everybody will take a good look at the regression lists (whether they
    > _think_ they are affected or not), and spend some time wondering "was that
    > anything I did, or is it something I can look at". Ok?

    Running 'make -j' kernel compilation on my test box (Athlon64 X2, 2 SATA drives
    with 6 software RAID1 ext3 and reiserfs partitions, 2 GB of RAM) makes it
    completely unresponsive. I can't even move the mouse pointer when it's
    running, I can't log to the box from the network etc.

    The anticipatory IO scheduler is used.

      Last update: 2007-05-20 14:55    [W:0.039 / U:2.556 seconds]