    SubjectRe: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v8

    On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 09:12:35PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > the whole move to ->load_weight based calculations was to make CFS
    > integrate better with load-balancing and to bring the smpnice
    > infrastructure even more into the scheduler mainstream. [ There's a
    > small smpnice related buglet i fixed in -v9-to-be (based on Balbir
    > Singh's feedback), but otherwise it behaves quite well on SMP and that's
    > not a big surprise: i left the load-balancer largely intact. ]

    Despite the original motive, the ->load_weight -based calculations
    largely resolved my concerns about intra-queue prioritization. They
    were the change to the ->fair_key computation I wanted to see, which
    were still not enough because of the O(rq->nr_running) lag issue due to
    the differences from EEVDF, but I wasn't entirely aware of that, only
    suspicious that some issue remained.

    Load balancing has non-negligible impacts on fairness but I'm almost
    entirely ignorant of the aspects of the theory relating to it. More
    knowledgeable people, e.g. Tong Li and Ting Yang, need to take over
    reviewing here much as they did on the intra-queue front, where I only
    knew enough to drop hints and not to make more useful suggestions.

    O(1) vs. O(lg(n)) priority queues are not what matter here (well,
    obviously O(n) priority queues would break), but rather O(1) vs. O(n)

    -- wli

      Last update: 2007-05-02 21:47    [W:0.044 / U:2.780 seconds]