SubjectRe: "partical" kthread conversion
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 01:51:41AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2007 09:42:45 +0100 Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 04:20:07PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > macintosh-mediabay-convert-to-kthread-api.patch
> > > macintosh-adb-convert-to-the-kthread-api.patch
> > > macintosh-therm_pm72c-partially-convert-to-kthread-api.patch
> > > powerpc-pseries-rtasd-convert-to-kthread-api.patch
> > > powerpc-pseries-eeh-convert-to-kthread-api.patch
> > >
> > > Will send to paulus (I already did - does Paul not handle the macintosh
> > > driver?)
> >
> > Please don't send out the partial kthread conversions, as they're not
> > that helpful. Depending on the way we'll let the API evolve a
> > kthread_create/run not paired by a kthread_stop might be actually harmful.
> >
> > Please only send along patches that are paired or always built in so that
> > they don't require stopping at all.
> >
> > Btw, many of the drivers above should probably go to benh.
> >
> > There's probably a few more patches falling into this category, these
> > were just the first one the stick into my eye.
>
> Yes, I think I'll probably drop all of them - I've completely lost track of
> which ones are complete, which ones need more work, etc.
>
> I might send ia64-sn-xpc-convert-to-use-kthread-api.patch+fixes off to
> Tony, as people put quite a bit of review and test effort into that one.

Andrew, I would recommend holding off on sending these xpc patches to
Tony as the kthread_run()s aren't paired with kthread_stop()s yet. I
need to generate an additional patch after I've first sorted out how
best to deal with kthread_stop()'ng XPC's pool of kthreads with Eric.

Thanks,
Dean

  Last update: 2007-05-02 16:03    [W:0.157 / U:1.912 seconds]