SubjectRe: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans
On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:31:10AM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 14:17 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> writes:
> > > Will merge the rustyvisor.
> >
> > IMHO the user code still doesn't belong into Documentation.
> > Also it needs another review round I guess. And some beta testing by
> > more people.
>
> Like any piece of code more review and more testing would be great.
> (Your earlier review was particularly useful!). But it's not clear that
> waiting for longer will achieve either.

Not clear to me. Release a clear lguest patchkit with documentation
on l-k several times and you'll probably get both reviewers and testers.
Then confidence level will rise.

> Look at kvm's experience for the reverse case: it went in, then got
> rewritten.

They at least already had some user base at this point.

> As for the code in Documentation, my initial attempts tried to get
> around the need for a userspace part by putting everything in the kernel
> module. It meant you could launch a guest by writing a string
> to /dev/lguest (no real ABI burden there), but it's a worse solution
> than some user code in the kernel tree 8(

Just put it into a separate tarball.

-Andi

  Last update: 2007-05-02 12:33    [W:0.691 / U:0.092 seconds]