SubjectRe: building i386 requires s390: "driver/crypto/Kconfig" sourcing s390 arch
On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:46:02 -0700 Linda Walsh wrote:

> Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:32:47 -0700 Linda Walsh wrote:
> >

> >> Seems there is an include of s390 based config in file
> >> drivers/crypto/Kconfig: source "arch/s390/crypto/Kconfig"
> >>
> >> The line doesn't seem to be need for an i386 build (haven't
> >> tried x86_64 though).
> >>
> >> I take it that this was a braino?
> >>

> > Does it cause a problem? If yes, what problem?
> >
> ----
> Yes. My source tree has unrelated architectures removed,
> as a result when building i386 or x86_64, the config tools try to
> include files from the s390 architecture. It isn't there.
> I'm building x86, why should I be including files from other
> architectures. It is hierarchically unclean.

Yes, it is. What removes all arch-except-i386-and-x86_64 from your
kernel tree? Can't it also do
$ sed @source "arch/s390/crypto/Kconfig"@#source "arch/s390/crypto/Kconfig"@
at the same time?

Who supports a pared-down kernel tree like this?

> Perhaps the s390 device needs to be moved under the crypto with
> the other crypto devices?

Sorry, I didn't quite understand that part.

> If the standard that other architectures are
> using is to put their devices in the crypto directory, then one might
> expect all crypto devices to be there. Why should s390 stick out and
> put its crypto device someplace under the s390 tree, forcing parts of the
> s390 tree to be included when building other architectures?

drivers/crypto/ currently contains drivers for x86_32 and s390
(the latter by indirection, which is what is causing you this
grief/problem/whatever), but it certainly looks like it could
be a home for crypto drivers on any arch.

> > It looks like someone thought that all Hardware crypto devices
> > should be listed under the same menu heading. Makes some sense.
> >
> I thought the idea was the menu reflected the options available in
> the specific parts/branches -- i.e. if you have the menu option in
> the crypto tree, then the source code should be there as well.

I'm not aware of that. E.g., i386 and x86_64 share a lot of code
via "#include ../foo/bar" (and it's bad/ugly).

> I'm not sure how flexible the include system is, but can't it be
> "not included" unless compiling for ARCH_s390?

That would be the best solution IMO, if it only worked. :(

E.g.:

if S390
source "arch/s390/crypto/Kconfig"
endif

in drivers/crypto/Kconfig. Alas, it doesn't work.

---
~Randy

  Last update: 2007-05-19 01:21    [W:0.086 / U:0.072 seconds]