SubjectRe: 2.6.22-rc1 killed my ext3 filesystem cleanly unmounted
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 04:20:39PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 18/05/07, Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just tried the 2.6.22-r1 candidate to test whether some bug I have
> > hit in the past still exists. I did use 2.6.20.6 so far. So, I have
> > cleanly rebooted to use the new kernel, after the machine came up I
> > tried to mess with the bug, and had to reboot again to play with kernel
> > commandline parameters. Unfortunately, on the next reboot fsck was
> > schedules on my filesystem after 38 clean mounts. :( And the problem
> > started. The fsck found some unused inodes, but probably did not know
> > where do they belong to, but it deleted them automagically. Finally, the
> > fsck died because it cannot fine some '..' entry.
> >

> How do you know that the corruption was caused by 2.6.21-rc1 ?
> Isn't it possible that the corruption was created by an earlier
> kernel, but only detected when a forced fsck was run - which just
> happened to be while you were running 2.6.21-rc1 ...
>
> My point is that, as far as I can see, there's nothing tying
> 2.6.21-rc1 specifically to this corruption... or?

You might be right, but I thought maybe more probably is the cause in kernel
as that is what I have changed recently. ;) Or maybe someone can at leats say
"No, no changes to be considered between 2.6.20.6 and 2.6.22-rc1.". ;)

Martin

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans