SubjectRe: 2.6.22-rc1-mm1 [cannot change thermal trip points]
Hi!

> > > ACPI: thermal trip points are read-only
> >
> > What was the rationale? Can we get this one reverted?
> >
> > Some machines (HP omnibook xe3) have broken trip points -- too high --
> > so machine will overheat and trigger hw shutdown before starting
> > passive cooling.
> >
> > That's really broken, and write to trip points is reasonable way to
> > 'fix' that. (I'd understand if you only ever let trip points to
> > decrease... but otoh root should be able to shoot himself....)
>
> No, writing trip-points is neither a fix, nor it is reasonable.
> It is a workaround at best, and it is a dangerous and mis-leading hack.
>
> The OS has no capability to actually change the ACPI trip points
> that are used by the BIOS. Changing the OS copy of them
> to make the user think that trip events will actually
> happen when the temperature crosses the OS copy is crazy.

Aha... wait. It seemed to work for me when I enabled thermal
polling...

Slowing cpu down / shutdown / turn the fan on is done in the os after
all. Should we just start polling temperatures when user writes custom
trip points?

> If there are systems with broken thermals and the
> ACPI thermal control needs and over-ride to turn
> on the fan, then that is fine -- but using
> fake trip-points and giving the user the impression
> that they are real is not viable.

They become real when we fake _TSP, too, ..?
Pavel