SubjectRe: sysfs makes scaling suck Re: Asynchronous scsi scanning
On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 01:45:24PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> But also, the sysfs with over 4,000 (and higher) devices was
> specifically checked by OSDL (actually as part of the CGL testing) some
> of the Manoj changes (for unpinning entries etc) were needed to get it
> to function, but as of now, I believe an enterprise scaling test works
> reasonably well for it ... there certainly wasn't any evidence of it
> dying horribly in the tests.

i386 exhausts lowmem very quickly. SCSI is in a bit better shape than
network devices as the multiplier is only around 4 compared to 16 for network
devices.

My point stands, though. Forcing every new feature to go in via sysfs is
not the right thing to do. Some people don't/can't use it, please remember
them.

-ben
--
"Time is of no importance, Mr. President, only life is important."
Don't Email: <zyntrop@kvack.org>.