SubjectRe: Asynchronous scsi scanning
On 5/17/07, Matthew Wilcox <matthew@wil.cx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:43:06PM +0530, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> > >No, it does matter. Your suggestion doesn't work, because
> > >/sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/ belongs to the module code. To create
> > >a new attribute there, you use the module_param() code -- and there's
> > >no way to have code called when your parameter is changed.
>
> (thanks, Roland for pointing out that I'm incorrect about code being
> called)

> Come up with a sensible suggestion, and I'll listen to you. Code isn't
> the issue. API is the issue.

Well, that itself is a suggestion.

> > Ok, thanks for pointing out that /sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/wait...
> > is _wrong_. Could you suggest something that would be _right_?
>
> No, I can't, which is why I find it hard to like the idea of "use
> sysfs". I have no particular love for using a module like this, but
> my preferred way (a new verb for /proc/scsi/scsi) isn't liked by others.

Another command to /proc/scsi/scsi isn't a bad thought at all, considering
we're not _inventing_ a *new* /proc/not-related-to-processes interface, but
simply extending one that already exists. But then James / others are also
somewhat justified in shooting that down. I bet a lot of people would find
that even worse than this whole module affair.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans