    SubjectRe: Asynchronous scsi scanning
    On 5/17/07, Matthew Wilcox <> wrote:
    > On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:43:06PM +0530, Satyam Sharma wrote:
    > > >No, it does matter. Your suggestion doesn't work, because
    > > >/sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/ belongs to the module code. To create
    > > >a new attribute there, you use the module_param() code -- and there's
    > > >no way to have code called when your parameter is changed.
    > (thanks, Roland for pointing out that I'm incorrect about code being
    > called)

    > Come up with a sensible suggestion, and I'll listen to you. Code isn't
    > the issue. API is the issue.

    Well, that itself is a suggestion.

    > > Ok, thanks for pointing out that /sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/wait...
    > > is _wrong_. Could you suggest something that would be _right_?
    > No, I can't, which is why I find it hard to like the idea of "use
    > sysfs". I have no particular love for using a module like this, but
    > my preferred way (a new verb for /proc/scsi/scsi) isn't liked by others.

    Another command to /proc/scsi/scsi isn't a bad thought at all, considering
    we're not _inventing_ a *new* /proc/not-related-to-processes interface, but
    simply extending one that already exists. But then James / others are also
    somewhat justified in shooting that down. I bet a lot of people would find
    that even worse than this whole module affair.

      Last update: 2007-05-17 19:45    [W:0.025 / U:51.908 seconds]