SubjectRe: [RFC] select and dependencies in Kconfig
Stefan Richter wrote:

> "A... select B" is just a flavor of "A... depends on B", with the
> additional instruction to the Kconfig UIs: Don't hide A if you can
> silently switch on B.

I think you mean "A... select B" is just a flavor of "B... depends on A". There is one
minor difference between the two.

If A is a driver and B is a library, then it's more intuitive to update the Kconfig option
for A then it is to update the Kconfig option for B. For example, if I want to add a new
driver C that uses library B, I can just add this:

select B

If I have to use "depends on", then I would have to change the Kconfig option for B like this:

depends on A || C

And every time I create a new driver that depends on library B, I have to update that
"depends on" line *in addition to* creating the Kconfig line for the new driver. If 10
drivers use library B, you'll have this:

depends on A || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K

> How about throwing "select" out of the Kconfig language and improving
> the UIs instead, so that users find what they want and need?

I know a lot of people don't like 'select', but I prefer it over 'depends on'.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale