    SubjectRe: [RFC] select and dependencies in Kconfig
    Stefan Richter wrote:

    > "A... select B" is just a flavor of "A... depends on B", with the
    > additional instruction to the Kconfig UIs: Don't hide A if you can
    > silently switch on B.

    I think you mean "A... select B" is just a flavor of "B... depends on A". There is one
    minor difference between the two.

    If A is a driver and B is a library, then it's more intuitive to update the Kconfig option
    for A then it is to update the Kconfig option for B. For example, if I want to add a new
    driver C that uses library B, I can just add this:

    select B

    If I have to use "depends on", then I would have to change the Kconfig option for B like this:

    depends on A || C

    And every time I create a new driver that depends on library B, I have to update that
    "depends on" line *in addition to* creating the Kconfig line for the new driver. If 10
    drivers use library B, you'll have this:

    depends on A || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K

    > How about throwing "select" out of the Kconfig language and improving
    > the UIs instead, so that users find what they want and need?

    I know a lot of people don't like 'select', but I prefer it over 'depends on'.

    --
    Timur Tabi
    Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale