    SubjectRe: Oops and Panics in 2.6.21.1, 2.6.20.6 and 2.6.19.2
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    >>> a number of people have hit that, on and off.
    >> Yeah, I've been seeing that one. It should have been fixed with the big
    >> fat patchset.
    >
    > Great - fingers crossed.
    >
    >>> We were close to having a fix, I think, but then we decided that great
    >>> chunks of sysfs needed rewriting and I believe that we believe that this
    >>> great rewrite will fix this bug.
    >> How were we gonna fix it? If it isn't too complex, I can cook up a
    >> patch for -stable series.
    >
    > Do we actually understand the causes?

    Yeah, I think I do. Basically, the problem is that on-demand attach and
    reclamation update sd->s_dentry but accesses to it aren't synchronized
    properly. In the big fat patchset, first I tried to fix it by removing
    sd->s_dentry completely which didn't work because of shadow nodes, so
    the second try was to fix the synchronization which is in -mm now.

    >> The safest approach I can think of is making
    >> dentries for attributes unreclaimable but those are made reclaimable for
    >> good reasons. :-(
    >
    > Yeah, that was the google workaround. It's OK unless you happen to have
    > thousands of disks on an ia32 box.

    I see. I thought there was different approach on fixing the problem.
    I'll try to backport the synchronization fix but am afraid it can be too
    risky for -stable. If it seems too risky, I'll send a patch to disable
    reclamation.

    --
    tejun