    SubjectRe: Pagecache zeroing: zero_user_segment, zero_user_segments and zero_user
    On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:52:05 +1000 Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    > Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > >>Dunno. fwiw, we decided to _not_ embed KM_USER0 in the callee: we have had
    > >>some pretty ghastly bugs in the past due to misuse of kmap slots so the
    > >>idea was to shove the decision into the caller's face, make them think
    > >>about what they're doing
    > >

    > > On the other hand non highmem platforms are burdened with always repeating
    > > the same KM_USER0 in every function call. Isnt it enough to know that
    > > standard functions use KM_USER0 for their operations?
    >
    > Couldn't that be filtered out inline?

    It is - there is no runtime overhead for non-highmem machines.

    The problem nowadays is all the developers who don't need, have, compile
    for or test on highmem machines.

      Last update: 2007-05-16 07:35    [W:0.023 / U:1.188 seconds]