SubjectRe: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)
Date
On Tuesday 15 May 2007 5:08 pm, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 07:32:43PM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > Francesco Pretto wrote:

> > > Ok, i can't understand if the patch will be included in 2.6.22 (i
> > > didn't see it in the Andrew Morton merge plan). However, if you can
> > > confirm the inclusion, i can send bug reports for ubuntu and gentoo. I
> > > can even send an email to Miquel van Smoorenburg, who should be the
> > > mainstream sysvinit developer (and probably the last maintainer).
> >
> > Okay, the patch made upstream and webpage posted.
> >
> > http://linux-ata.org/shutdown.html
>
> There's a typo..
>
> "Check whether /sys/modules/libata/parameters/spindown_compat exists. If it
does, write 0 to it."

> should be /sys/module/libata/parameters/spindown_compat
>
> (no 's' after module)

Um, hang on. So libata can't reliably turn the system off without data loss
and potential damage to hardware unless userspace goes through a special song
and dance? And this is _not_ considered a defect in the kernel?

Why?

(Is there any other piece of hardware that needs userspace to quiesce it just
so the _off_switch_ can take effect? Yes, I read both the gmane thread and
the linux-ata.org link. I used to maintain the busybox halt/reboot/poweroff
commands, although I don't anymore. That just called reboot(), and this
worked.)

Why on _earth_ does complicating software suspend add extra requirements to
actual shutdown? Since when does the shutdown command have to enumerate
attached block devices? If anything this would belong in umount -a, but that
doesn't care about the hardware of the underlying block devices and
SHOULDN'T...

I'm confused. Could someone please explain?

Rob

  Last update: 2007-05-16 07:33    [W:1.777 / U:0.344 seconds]