SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.22-rc1
Hi Antonino, hi Linus,

On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:50:54 +0200, Antonino Ingargiola wrote:
> 2007/5/13, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>:
> > On Sun, 13 May 2007, Antonino Ingargiola wrote:
> > >
> > > On my desktop pc with Debian Etch and 2.6.22-rc1 the gnome panel
> > > applet "Sensors Applet" give an error message "No chip detected".
> > > Works fine on 2.6.21.1 (it show cpu temperature) with the same config
> > > (I've only only done make oldconfig).

I am not familiar with the gnome sensors applet. Does it say where it
is getting the data (driver name, device name...)?

> > One thing to check is that "make oldconfig" can actually change the
> > configuration if things were moved behind a new top-level configuration
> > parameter or such. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's possible
> > that things like the i2c changes might have made you inadvertedly changed
> > some config option.
>
> I suspected so. However the acpi and i2c section of the two config are
> identical. I report the only selected options:
>
> Power management options (ACPI, APM) --->
> [*] Power Management support
> [*] Software Suspend (Hibernation)
> ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support --->
> [*] ACPI Support
> [*] Sleep States
> <M> Button
> <M> Video
> <M> Fan
> <M> Processor
> <M> Thermal Zone
> (0) Disable ACPI for systems before Jan 1st this year
>
> Device Drivers --->
> I2C support --->
> <M> I2C device interface
> I2C Hardware Bus support --->
> <M> VIA VT82C596/82C686/82xx and CX700

You forgot to list the Hardware Monitoring support options.

> > > Is this considered a regression or can be due to userland incompatibilities?
> >
> > It's a regression, although I'd like to know more about your cases. It's
> > just hard to tell what happened: was it a i2c/hwmon driver that got
> > broken, or is it some sysfs file that got buggered, or what..
> >
> > For example, "dmesg" output before and after (preferably as a diff between
> > the two), and what modules you had loaded in the working/nonworking case.
>
> The first column of lsmod list the same modules in both kernels. The
> diff-ed dmesg is attached.

Please provide the output of lsmod.

If you are using one of the following drivers: lm78, smsc47b397,
smsc47m1, w83627hf or w83781d, you need lm_sensors >= 2.10.1
(libsensors.so.3.1.1 or later).

--
Jean Delvare