SubjectRe: why does x86 "make defconfig" build a single, lonely module?
On 13/05/07 17:27, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 12:20 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> since this thread looks like it's going to get away from me in a
>> hurry :-), my only point in asking was to point out that that lone
>> module was the only thing preventing the build from being module-free.
>>
>> i'm not saying that that's *necessarily* a good thing, but it just
>> strikes me as odd that, out of all of the possible modules that might
>> be selected in a default config for x86, this was the *only* one that
>> was picked.
>>
>> i just think it's a bit weird, that's all.
>
> It's designed on the predicate that people who want to be module free
> will actually set CONFIG_MODULE=n.
>
> If you set CONFIG_MODULE=y and build SCSI we assume you could have a
> SCSI driver module at some point, which would necessitate the wait scan
> module.

This should be implemented like "Library routines" and only added if such
a SCSI driver module is actually selected. Why can't it at least be a
visible option in the menu? (Although even then it looks like it's
impossible to disable).

Why does ATA select SCSI anyway? Surely PATA doesn't require it?

--
Simon Arlott