SubjectRe: [announce] Intel announces the PowerTOP utility for Linux
Date
On Saturday 12 May 2007 00:07:18 Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> What's eating the battery life of my laptop? Why isn't it many more
> hours? Which software component causes the most power to be burned?
> These are important questions without a good answer... until now.

This is a really great tool and presents a very intuitive alternative to the
timer stats file..

On a Core 2 Duo Macbook, Linux always gets around 3.2h battery, OS X about
4.2h. This tool has identified that uhci_hcd is where 75% of the ticks are
going when X is not loaded. Unloading uhci_hcd drops the battery life back to
around 4.2h, but I lose the keyboard.

Is there any way to find out what USB driver is causing usb_uhci to be this
busy?

(BTW, the link to Keith's patch for dhcdbd seems to be broken on your
homepage.)

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.