SubjectRe: [announce] Intel announces the PowerTOP utility for Linux
On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 13:00 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On May 11 2007 16:07, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >
> > A typical Linux distribution has many components that wake the processor up
> > frequently for no good reason. In our testing with PowerTOP, we have seen many
> > cases where with some simple fixes, the battery life of typical laptops was
> > increased by one hour or more!
> >
> > We are providing fixes for several of the issues we identified, and we
> > encourage the Linux community to help us in this quest to get the maximum
> > battery life out of your (hopefully Intel based) laptops. Try the PowerTOP
> > tool, join the mailing list or the IRC channel and provide feedback, problem
> > reports or fixes!
>
> Yeah, hal happily wakes up every two seconds. So much for
> the effectivity of NO_HZ.

The AN patches that Kristen posted a few days ago will fix this part of
hal for real... assuming you have hardware with AN support that is.

they are in -mm now... should go mainline in like 2.6.23

  Last update: 2007-05-12 19:59    [W:0.088 / U:2.280 seconds]